Home impacts every aspect of life, for every generation. We partner with local organizations to build sustainable communities in Haiti, Bolivia, Mexico, and El Salvador.
We use our data collection tool, Felix, and a multi-part survey process to understand the families’ needs and the impact of a new home in their lives.
We saw a 63% increase in median household income. Prior to move-in, the median household income was 100 USD per month, or $2,000 MXN.
Only 14% of families in the Mexico communities we served had access to consistent and clean water. After the move-in, the remaining 86% gained access to consistent and clean water services.
From the head of households surveyed, 35% saw increase in feeling safe in their communities As a result, sleep quality and satisfaction also increased of up to 26%.
Within a year of moving into their new homes, families in these communities had a median household monthly income of $230. Over half the families reported that their source of income relied on daily wages and inconsistent sources of income.
Within a year of moving into their new homes, families in these communities saw a 28% decrease in the incidence of health issues per family decreasing from 83% of families reporting at least one family member with a chronic health issue to 60% of families reporting a family member with a chronic health condition.
Dirt floors are highly unsanitary and impossible to clean because a dirt floor is just dirt. A 2007 World Bank study found that replacing dirt floors with concrete floors led to reduction in anemia, parasitic infections, and diarrhea while improving cognitive development and quality of life.
Many families in the Morelos state were severely impacted by the 7.1 magnitude earthquake that struck the region in September 2017. This project was a collaboration between New Story and Échale to aid in the post-disaster relief response.
The Hernandez Family lives in Totolapan, Mexico. In their last home, this family of four lived in one room, with no lockable door and a rusted tin roof. The family slept shoulder to shoulder in shared beds, which negatively affected their quality of sleep and made it harder to work during the day. Miguel was gone most days working to provide for the family, while his daughter, Diane, and grandchildren, Celia and Michelangelo, worked together to upkeep their tiny home.
After having her first child, Diana was unable to complete her schooling. In grade school, Celia also dropped out of school in order to help support the family. Her son, Michelangelo, has a speech impediment and paralysis in his left eye which deprives him of normal brain development and makes school extremely challenging for him.
The family moved into their new home in late September 2019. They now have three bedrooms in their home and are so excited the children can sleep better at night. Michelangelo is enrolled in a special needs education program, and Diana and Celia are both committed to going back to school now that they have a more secure economic foundation.
This community was focused on vulnerable families in the Ahuachapán area living at risk. Having learned from our past communities, we improved the home design to have larger windows, covered the floor with tiling, and helped design the community with the families that were supported by this social housing program.
In August 2019, 55 families moved into the community of Ahuachapán 2 in El Salvador. As every family stepped through the front door of their new home, they also stepped into new beginnings and possibilities. One family turned this step into a flourishing foundation for their home and entire community—the Martinez Contreras family.
With a stable home providing their family with more space and time, the Veronica and her family quickly made the most of their new home by starting a bakery. As the first family-run business to come out of Ahuachapán 2, they have shown us the multiplying factor of stability by uniting their entire community through their hard work.
Last time we visited, we were able to taste the fruits of their labor and we can promise you— home has truly never tasted so good.